Meet Search Box

Sometimes works overlap and you might not find them through the tags such as Anime & Manga, College, etc. So use the search box (above or to the right) for another way to find essays or videos or anything you are looking for!

More anime/manga posts and jokes here!

Or reach me on YouTube!

*YES! We reached 3 million views! May we make it to 4 million? :D

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Shout-out to Teachers/Professors: Summative Assessment

English is more than just a language; it is a device for art and expression. English belongs to more than just one place; it is everybody’s world communication. English is more than just learning; it involves analyzing and dissecting written materials. But more importantly, English takes more than just a few years to build and explore; a whole lifetime could be spent studying the language and interpreting all kinds of novels, but even that barely scratches the surface.

What I found extremely enticing about AP English Literature is how we students do not take a direct approach to study English. By exploring an unconventional path, through incorporations of creative writing and class assessments, I am not functioning as a machine, forcing information into my brain only to pass a test, but rather as a human being who has to pre-write and think critically before forming words onto paper. These creative writing assignments such as short stories and picture prompts, and these class assessments such as annotations and comparison essays encourage imagination and research. These assignments push me to think outside the box, which will ultimately lead to the development of problem-solving skills. They teach me persuasiveness because if I am going to write a tale about some outlandish creature, I have to first try to convince the reader of the possibility of the creature, which leads me to develop a detailed description, and even personality and actions for the creature, making the reader believe this is possible. They teach me discipline as any novelist will agree that putting an image into words and making it something feasible and enjoyable for others is an exercise in discipline since the thoughts need to be ordered, clear, and concise. Unlike ordinary literature, where I am forced to study terms and concepts of the language, this new, unconventional approach makes me willingly want to learn as I am not pressured by the notion in which I am expected to grasp information.

What I also enjoy is how we students do not spend the whole class time cramming over a textbook and reading solely to ourselves. Instead, we are textbook-free and spark class discussions. Class discussions offer me the opportunity to test my ideas and opinions against the ideas and opinions of my peers. These discussions broaden my horizon, supplying me a greater tolerance for diverse and opposing points of view. This is something I will encounter all throughout my college years and future life. Plus, since being able to effectively verbalize ideas and thoughts is crucial to making a place in today’s society, classroom discussions provide me a chance to practice listening and respectfully countering or agreeing with topics. Most importantly, with a consistent use of debate and discussion within the classroom, I am shown a place of value when voicing thoughts and suggestions. This type of “collaborative learning” enhances and enriches not only my individual learning experience, but also the class as a whole.

Then again, while the class discussions help me experience a diversity of views, I feel a one-on-one teaching follow-up would effectively enforce the concepts learned during the discussion. One-on-one teaching is an exceptionally beneficial approach to instruction as this type of individual attention allows for a high level of quality interaction between the teacher and me. Because of the intimate environment, the teacher could accurately monitor how well I am mastering the lessons, and how well I could adapt to the pace and target the skills accordingly. Moreover, I have less fear of making mistakes when taken out of a group situation, and hence, will flourish in a safe learning environment. So not only will my strengths and weaknesses be addressed more consistently but also will I become a better learner through training with the teacher.

Ultimately, as a student that hopes to learn and develop the skills to write concisely and analyze efficiently, I feel that AP English Literature allows me to improve these abilities through workshops and notebooking of assignments and novels. Proficient writing skills are necessary at this point as these discussions of literature typically manifest in the form of an essay or research paper. These skills are a crucial component of college preparation, combining the five skills of language arts in order to understand literature and its value.

No comments:

Post a Comment