Meet Search Box

Sometimes works overlap and you might not find them through the tags such as Anime & Manga, College, etc. So use the search box (above or to the right) for another way to find essays or videos or anything you are looking for!

More anime/manga posts and jokes here!

Or reach me on YouTube!

*YES! We reached 3 million views! May we make it to 4 million? :D

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Duff by Kody Keplinger CHAPTER 9

Dad didn’t leave his bedroom for the rest of the weekend. I knocked a couple of times Sunday afternoon and
offered to make him something to eat, but he just murmured a refusal, never opening the door between us. His
isolation terrified me. He must have been depressed about Mom, and ashamed he’d fallen off the wagon to top it
off, but I knew this wasn’t healthy. I decided that if he hadn’t emerged by Monday afternoon, I would bust into the
room and well, I didn’t know what I’d do next. In the meantime, I just tried not to think of my father or the divorce
papers on the kitchen table.
Surprisingly, that was pretty easy.
Most of my thoughts swarmed around Wesley. Ew, right? But I really didn’t know how to handle school on Monday.
What did one do after having a one-night stand (or, in my case, one-afternoon stand) with the school’s biggest
man-whore? Was I supposed to act nonchalant? Treat him with my normal undisguised hatred? Or, because I’d
honestly enjoyed myself, should I act, like, grateful? Tone down the contempt and be friendly? Did I owe him
something? Surely not. He’d gotten just as much out of the experience as I had, minus the self-loathing.
By the time I arrived at school Monday morning, I’d pretty much settled on avoiding him entirely.
“Are you okay, Bianca?” Jessica asked as we walked out of Spanish at the end of first block. “You’re acting um,
weird.”
I’ll admit, my spy skills weren’t exactly smooth, but I knew that Wesley walked past the classroom on his way to
second block, and I didn’t want to risk an awkward post-sex meeting in the hallway. I peered anxiously around the
edge of the door, scanning the crowd for those unmistakable brown curls. But if Jessica could tell something was
up, I was being way too obvious.
“It’s nothing,” I lied, stepping out into the hall. I looked both ways, like a small child crossing a busy highway, and I
was relieved that I didn’t see him anywhere. “I’m fine.”
“Oh, okay,” she said without suspicion. “I must be imagining it, then.”
“You must be.”
Jessica tugged at a loose strand of her blond hair that had escaped from the confines of her ponytail. “Oh, Bianca,
I forgot to tell you! I’m so excited!”
“Let me guess,” I teased. “This has something to do with Harrison Carlyle, right? Did he ask you where you got
your cute skinny jeans this time? Or how you condition your luscious hair?”
“No!” Jessica giggled. “No. Actually, it’s my brother. He’s coming to visit us for the week, and he should be
getting into Hamilton by noon today. He’s going to pick me up from school this afternoon. I’m really excited to see
him. It’s been, like, two and a half years since he left for college and —. Hey, Bianca, are you sure you’re okay?”
I stood frozen in the middle of the hallway. I could feel the blood draining from my face, and my hands turned cold
and started to shake. There was definite nausea coming on, but I told the same old lie. “I’m fine.” I forced my feet to
move again. “I just, um, thought I forgot something. It’s fine. Now, what were you saying?”
Jessica nodded. “Oh, well, I’m so excited about Jake! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’ve really, really missed
him. It’ll be nice to hang out with him for a few days. Oh, and I think Tiffany is coming with him. Did I tell you they just
got engaged?”
“No. That’s great. I’ve gotta get to class, Jessica.”
“Oh, okay. Well, I’ll see you in English, Bianca.” I was halfway down the hallway before Jessica got the sentence
out of her mouth.
I pushed past the stampeding students, barely hearing them as they bitched at me for stepping on their toes or
ramming them with my backpack. The sounds around me slowly faded as unwanted memories flooded into my
head. It was like Jessica’s words had broken the dam that held them back for so long.
“So, you’re Bianca? The freshman bitch that’s been screwing my boyfriend?”
“Your boyfriend? I haven’t been—”
“Stay the hell away from Jake.”
My face burned as the memories rushed back. My feet moved so fast I was almost sprinting toward my AP
government class. As if I could outrun the thoughts. As if they wouldn’t chase me with a vengeance. But Jake
Gaither would be back in Hamilton for a week. Jake Gaither was engaged to Tiffany. Jake Gaither the boy who
broke my heart.
I ran into the classroom just as the tardy bell rang. I knew Mr. Chaucer’s eyes were glaring in my direction, but I
didn’t bother to look. I took my seat near the back of the room, trying desperately to focus on something else.
But not even Toby Tucker’s witty commentary on the legislative branch or the back of his adorable out-of-fashion
head could tempt my thoughts away from Jake and his bride to be.
I barely heard a word Mr. Chaucer said all block, and when the bell rang, my page of notes, which should have
been full of details from the lecture, consisted of only two short, barely legible sentences. God, I was going to fail
this class if shit like this kept coming up.
So much drama! If I were a rich Manhattan snob, I could have been a character on Gossip Girl. (Not that I watch
that trashy show often that my friends know about) Why couldn’t my life be a sitcom? Then again, even the
Friends crowd had issues.
I slouched toward the cafeteria, and I found Casey and Jessica waiting for me at our table. As always, Angela,
Jeanine, and Jeanine’s cousin Vikki joined us. Angela was busy showing everyone her new Vans, so my sulkiness
went unnoticed as I slumped into my chair.
“Cute,” Casey commented, grinning at the shoes. “Who got them for you?”
“Daddy,” Angela answered, stroking the toe of her purple shoe. “He and Mom are competing for my love now. At
first it was kind of annoying, but I’ve decided to take the high road and have fun with it.” She crossed her legs and
tossed back her dark hair. “I’m hoping for Prada next.”
Everyone laughed.
“I didn’t get anything cool out of my parents’ divorce,” Casey said. “My dad didn’t really care if I loved him more, I
guess.”
“That’s sad, Case,” Jessica murmured.
“Oh, not really.” Casey shrugged and started picking at her orange fingernail polish. “Dad’s an ass. I was thrilled
when Mom kicked him out of the house. She cries a lot less now, and when Mom’s happier, the world is happier.
Sure, we don’t have as much money anymore, but it wasn’t like Dad spent his checks on us, anyway. He offered to
buy Mom a car she didn’t want, but that’s about the extent of his good nature.”
“Divorces are depressing,” Jessica sighed. “I’d be heartbroken if my parents split up. Wouldn’t you, Bianca?”
I felt heat rush to my face, but Casey was switching the subject, so I pretended I hadn’t heard Jessica’s question.
“Hey, Vikki, what happened on Homecoming night? You never told us how that went down.”
Jeanine giggled knowingly. “You haven’t told them yet, Vikki?”
Vikki rolled her eyes and twirled a strand of her curly strawberry-blond hair around her perfectly manicured finger.
“Oh my God. Okay, so Clint is totally not speaking to me anymore, and Ross”
Her voice drifted into the background and my mind wandered. As much as I wanted to stop thinking of Jake, I
couldn’t bring myself to be interested in Vikki’s boy troubles. On any other day, I would have found mild amusement
in her story, like she was my own personal soap opera, but at that moment her drama seemed so vague and
unimportant. So vapid. So indulgent. So empty.
I couldn’t help feeling a little guilty for thinking this. That made me just as self-absorbed as she was. So I
halfheartedly tried to listen to the woes of Vikki McPhee.
Then something she said caught my full attention.
“But I did fool around with Wesley for a little while afterward.”
“Wesley?” I said.
Vikki beamed at me, proud of what she viewed as an achievement. Didn’t she know more than two-thirds of the
girls in school had accomplished the same thing? Including me but, of course, she didn’t know that part. “Yeah,”
she said. “After the fight with Clint, I wound up out in the parking lot with Wesley. We messed around in his car for a
while, but my mom called, so I had to get home before we could do anything. Sucks, right?”
“Sure.”
My eyes moved across the cafeteria, searching for a few seconds before they located the back of a curly brown
head inches above those around him. He sat with a group of friends—mostly girls, naturally—at a long rectangular
table on the other side of the room. He was wearing a tight black T-shirt that, while not really appropriate for the
frigid temperatures of early February, showed off his perfect muscular arms. Arms that had twined around me arms that had helped erase my stress.
“Did I tell you guys that my brother is coming to town?” Jessica asked. “He and his fiancée are visiting for the
week.”
Casey’s worried eyes immediately turned on me and widened when she realized I was on my feet. “Where are you
going, B?”
Everyone at the table looked at me then, and I tried to sound convincing. “I just remembered,” I said. “I need to go
talk to Wesley about our English project.” Screw avoiding him. I had a better, more helpful idea.
“Didn’t you finish that on Saturday?” Jessica asked.
“We got started on it, but we didn’t finish the paper.”
“ ’Cause you were too busy making out,” Casey teased, winking at me.
Don’t look guilty. Don’t look guilty.
“Making out?” Vikki raised an eyebrow at me.
“Didn’t you hear?” Jessica laughed, smiling good-naturedly at me. “Bianca is madly in love with Wesley.”
I faked a gagging noise and everyone laughed. “Yeah, right,” I said, making sure that my voice was full of irritation
and disgust. “I can’t stand him. God, I’ve lost so much respect for Mrs. Perkins since she made me work with him.”
“I’d be ecstatic if I were you,” Vikki said, sounding a little bitter.
Jeanine and Angela nodded in agreement.
“Anyway.” I was feeling a little jumpy. “I need to talk to him about getting this done. I’ll see you all later, okay?”
“ ’kay,” Jessica said, waving cheerfully.
I hurried through the crowded cafeteria, not slowing down until I was within five feet of Wesley’s table, where the
only other male occupant was Harrison Carlyle. Then I paused for a second, suddenly a little hesitant.
One of the girls, a skinny blonde with Angelina Jolie lips, was rattling on about her crappy vacation in Miami, and
Wesley was listening with rapt attention—obviously trying to convince her of his sympathy. Disgust erased my
insecurity, and I cleared my throat loudly, getting the whole group’s attention.
The blonde was agitated and angry, but I focused on Wesley, who looked at me casually, like he would any other
girl. I turned up my nose and said, “I need to talk to you about our English paper.”
“Is it necessary?” Wesley asked with a sigh.
“Yeah,” I said. “Right now. I’m not going to fail this stupid assignment because of your lazy ass.”
He rolled his eyes and got to his feet. “Sorry, ladies,” he said to the tragedy-stricken girls. “I’ll see you tomorrow.
You’ll save a seat for me?”
“Of course we will,” a tiny redhead squeaked.
As Wesley and I walked away, I heard Big Lips hiss, “God, that girl is a bitch!”
When we were out in the hallway Wesley asked, “What’s the problem, Duffy? I e-mailed you the essay last night,
just like you demanded. And where exactly are we going? The library?”
“Just shut up and come with me.” I led him down the hall past the English classrooms.
Don’t ask where I got this idea, because I couldn’t tell you, but I knew precisely where we were going, and I was
sure that this might officially make me a slut. But when we reached the door of the unused janitor’s closet, I had no feeling of shame not yet, at least.
I grasped the doorknob and noticed Wesley’s eyes narrow with suspicion. I yanked open the door, checked that no
I grasped the doorknob and noticed Wesley’s eyes narrow with suspicion. I yanked open the door, checked that no
one was watching, and gestured for him to go inside. Wesley walked into the tiny closet, and I followed, shutting the
door stealthily behind us.
“Something tells me this isn’t about The Scarlet Letter,” he said, and even in the dark I knew he was grinning.
“Be quiet.”
This time he met me halfway. His hands tangled in my hair and mine clawed at his forearms. We kissed violently,
and my back slammed against the wall. I heard a mop—or maybe a broom—topple over, but my brain barely
registered the sound as one of Wesley’s hands moved to my hip, holding me closer to him. He was so much taller
than me that I had to tilt my head back almost all the way to meet his kiss. His lips pressed hard against mine, and I
let my hands explore his biceps.
The smell of his cologne, rather than the lonely, stale air of the closet, filled my senses.
We wrestled in the darkness for a while before I felt his hand insistently lifting the hem of my T-shirt. With a gasp, I
pulled away from the kiss and grabbed his wrist. “No not now.”
“Then when?” Wesley asked in my ear, still pinning me to the wall. He didn’t even sound winded.
I, on the other hand, struggled to catch my breath. “Later.”
“Be more specific.”
I squirmed out of his arms and moved toward the door, nearly tripping over what felt like a bucket. I raised a hand
to flatten my wavy hair and reached for the doorknob. “Tonight. I’ll be at your house around seven. Okay?” But before he could answer, I slipped out of the closet and hurried down the hall, hoping it didn’t look like a walk of shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment