Meet Search Box

Sometimes works overlap and you might not find them through the tags such as Anime & Manga, College, etc. So use the search box (above or to the right) for another way to find essays or videos or anything you are looking for!

More anime/manga posts and jokes here!

Or reach me on YouTube!

*YES! We reached 3 million views! May we make it to 4 million? :D

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Hirunaka No Ryuusei: SHIZUME (Satsuki Shishio & Suzume Yosano)


So this post is going to be a rant and hints I'm getting from this manga. Therefore, I'm really going to input a lot of my own feelings into this so please don't be offended. Honestly, this could've been one of my MOST favorite manga ever, but I still don't understand (after a few months of thinking) why Suzume chose Daiki Mamura over Shishio. From the posts and messages I've been getting and reading, Mika Yamamori, the mangaka of Hirunaka No Ryuusei, fully intended for Suzume to end up with Shishio. While Mamura (and I'm not saying I have anything against him) is a completely fabricated person, Shishio is REAL. Supposedly, he's a love of Yamamori and this manga was, in a way, dedicated to him. But either way, Yamamori NEVER revealed who Shishio was modeled after, which again hints to this assumption. The biggest problem I have is the "hate" against the relationship between Suzume and Shishio, which was pure and flawed, and the "love" for the relationship between Mamura and Suzume, which was too fan-based and fictional. While most people say this manga is "different" to a typical shoujo manga, I have to say otherwise. Just because the main female protagonist didn't end up with the main male protagonist doesn't make this manga any less cliche. It's BECAUSE of that ending that made this manga a turn-down. Yes, Shishio is old, but not by much! There's only an 8 year difference between Suzume and Shishio, which, if you ask me, is a common and healthy age difference in relationships. While I'm not familiar with Japanese culture, I am still very curious about the strong resentment against student-teacher relationships. Shouldn't a person have the right to date who they want? I feel that it is NOT fair that Shishio was the one who has to give up. He says he is selfish and worthless, but it is he who gave up his happiness for the happiness of others.

He says to Suzume in Chapter 77: "Christmas. I'm sorry I was late. I kept thinking I really wanted to see you. Your birthday. I'm sorry I didn't notice. The first of December. I probably won't forget it. The first time you came to my house. I didn't tell you but, actually, I was really, really nervous. The school festival. The raccoon. The sushi-pattern tie. The time when we went home together. If all of these moments continued, it would be good... That is what I thought. Just by being with me, I feel like I ruined a lot of things around you. I even had to lie just to distance myself from you. But even so... The moment I let go of your hand, for the first time, I realized the magnitude of what I have lost. Somehow, speaking of this now, I'm being a selfish and worthless adult. I'm sorry."

It isn't fair, especially in a manga for a person to be left out like this. If you think of it this way, Shishio has loved Suzume all this time. He was hurt for 30+ chapters because he didn't want to hurt Suzume's future or happiness. She was so precious to him to the point that he was willing to sacrifice his pride and reputation to get back what he had given up. THAT'S what makes us human. And yes, I do know that this is a manga, but if people are choosing Mamura over Shishio just because Shishio "looks" like a creepy old man who hits on young girls, THEY are the ones who are mistaken for not seeing what being a human really means. The "too precious" person in this manga isn't Suzume. It's Satsuki.

I also noticed that there were many Shizume fan-fictions out on the web, and I can't say how happy I am to see others also believing that Shishio isn't that "bad" of a guy. Honestly, even if the manga ends as it is, with Suzume and Mamura, I doubt their relationship will last. In a way, Yamamori hints to this in the manga. After the last official chapter, where Suzume runs back to Mamura, there is a time-lapse of 6 years, where Shishio meets Suzume again at the party. This is assuming that they've never talked after Suzume goes back to Mamura. I couldn't help but notice that NO chapter or scene was given to Mamura, and this hints to his absence in Suzume's life, which probably means they've broken up. Obviously, if Suzume is at a wedding party, Mamura, if he was dating Suzume, should also be invited. If not, Yamamori would've given a scene to Mamura where Suzume at least mentions where he is or what he's doing. So this point is clearly made: It's highly possible that Suzume and Mamura have broken up. And though many Shizume fans have been going off about that smile Suzume gave Shishio, saying that it's very "sad" she didn't say or do anything else, I think that this is a hint at her new beginning. Suzume is now in her 20s, and Shishio is in his 30s. It's obviously that Shishio still hasn't gotten over Suzume as he still keeps her gift (a sushi tie) in his home. I can't explain this well, but if you read the chapter, it's pretty obvious he is still in love with her. Now, going back to Suzume: Her heart is still in love with Shishio. So while the chapter is not prolonged (probably to not upset Mazume fans), this manga is technically still ongoing. (A story has no ending!) While we "see" that Suzume got together with Mamura, I'm positive the relationship had lasted only 2 or 3 years (after Suzume graduates high school and realizes that Mamura is not right for her). She obviously doesn't go back to Shishio then because she has just graduated and is probably busy finding a job or applying to college. And BAM! She meets Shishio again after everything's settled. Her smile hints that she will meet Shishio once again somewhere else. And while the manga shows Shishio going home and getting drunk, the scene pauses in just a day. So we, as readers, never get to "see" what happens after that. Basically, and I think this is pretty obvious, Shishio meets Suzume again at another place by chance. They talk about their life and catch up. Shishio will find out that Suzume broke up with Mamura. Suzume will realize that Shishio still doesn't have a girlfriend or wife. Though they won't get together right away, their "moments" will arise again. Shishio will invite Suzume to a park or a place to "catch up." Suzume will finally realize the feelings that never went away. And after some time, Suzume and Shishio will confess their feelings again and officially get together. This time, their relationship most likely is approved since they both are adults and don't have that student-teacher relationship anymore. And they most likely will have a child and live a rocky but happy life. THIS is what I'm interpreting from the manga and the "ending" that I've read. It's impossible to not feel anything for your first love. And I know Suzume is aware of what she gave up.

Plus, the last chapter doesn't even make sense. I feel that the mangaka rushed a bit too much and merely caved in to her fan's request (have Mamura win). But now that I thought about it, I feel that this is done on purpose. Yamamori wanted her fans to be happy. But she also wanted a Shizume ending. So if you look at it this way, if you take out the last chapter (all the way to the last 3 pages where Suzume says you are my daytime shooting star), this manga is a Shizume ending. Suzume never mentions in the last chapter who her daytime shooting star was. She just says "you" were. So if you take out the Mamura parts in the last chapter, this manga is basically Suzume accepting her feelings for Shishio and getting back with him.

Also, I think the biggest problem isn't Yukichi finding out about Suzume and Shishio's relationship, as many people say. The problem is Suzume. She's way too dim. Any person would obviously realize that a person has feelings for them if 1. he/she tries to kiss her/him, 2. treats her/him differently, 3. basically confesses to him/her, etc. Shishio has made it clear that he likes Suzume and I'm dumbfounded that she believes it when Shishio tells her he doesn't love her. I mean, SERIOUSLY? He just tried to kiss you! I'm not sure if kissing is a tradition in Japan or something and can be disregarded as love, but this is pretty obvious to both the reader and the characters that Shishio likes Suzume. Plus, why would Suzume even write that to-do slip ("ask Sensei about his feelings, tell him how you feel, etc."? Shouldn't that be kept in her head? And if not, at least try to hide it somewhere safe, not just a random place where it can easily fall out, thus resulting in Yukichi finding out about the relationship and causing a rampage against Shishio. Though I don't have anything against Suzume, I'm just disappointed she gave up someone she truly wants.

I hope this rant doesn't offend anyone. I'm just really, really depressed that Shishio didn't get his happy ending. He sacrificed his own feelings for others and I think this is a really admirable trait.

#TEAMSHISHIO!





15 comments:

  1. i really liked this manga and im like you and have mixed feeelings about the ending and this couldve been one of my favorite manga ever if it wasnt for the ending xd thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate how most mangaka refuse to take risks. I suppose unless you're a big name, you are at the mercy of your publication's editor. If they don't want you to do something "politically incorrect" or do something risky with the storyline, then you need to change your creative version for that moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me, creative VISION (not version, sorry).

      Delete
  3. I finally met someone who had the same sentiments as me. Your words made me cry again. I couldn't accept the way it ends, it really really hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I even asked my friends about it. I was so sad. And this was the 3rd manga I've ever read. I was new to the manga and shoujo world. I think I even cried for them 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god I am so glad I am not the only one that felt so so be betrayed at the end. For me it felt just forced. For me suzume doesn't love mamura. There were no signs at all hinting that she felt anything other than friendship towards him. And I agree that shishio held back his feelings for her. He is such a sweetie and 8 years are nothing in a relationship. I am so so sad about this ending. I spoiled myself about the ending before the manga was completely published in my country (Germany). And so I have the first 5 books at home but immediately stopped when i heard that suzume chose mamura. Still soooooo sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I am not the only one who feels this way...#teamshishio forever !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the last chp mamura asks yasano to marry her nd she accepts but m a shizume shipper so it hurt to see him this hurt even after 6 years

    ReplyDelete
  8. to be honest i like them both a loooooot. Both of them loved her in their own way, i feel bad for Sensei and i understand that he broke her heart for her hapiness and future i'm fully aware of how much she means to him but i believe that love is about taking risks so the second he got scared for her(he got scared that he will be the source of her sadness in the future he backed off and i respect him for that i have nothing against him and if she ended up with him i would've been happy for them) he already lost 60% of them getting back together i respect your opinions no matter what but if i was her i would have made the same choice (maybe if she knew the truth before her feelings started to change they could've ended up together but it was too late, "Love is all about timing and luck" don't forget that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and i'm pretty sure she didin't brake up with Mamura at the end since clearly she thanked him for loving her and she said she's confident that she does not regret her decision i'm sure they got married at the end it's pretty obvious

      Delete
  9. I don't know who wrote this, but thank you so much for ranting. You used the right words to say the right things, and expressed what I wanted to express in the best possible way. I completed reading this manga 3 days ago, and I still couldn't get over this character. I can't express in words how much this character made me cry, probably will stay as one of my favourite in my heart forever. For me, he was the most selfless and REAL character in the manga. I want a man like him for myself, because his character isn't delusional. This manga could have been one of my favourite, but the ending ruined everything for me. Even at the end, I felt like Suzume still loved him, but she just couldn't understand her feelings. She let go everything so easily. And the hate Suzume & Satsuki's relationship got, and also the hate Satsuki's character got, were really unnecessary and stupid to me. No other character could make such a deep impact as Satsuki. Satsuki wasn't selfish, he loved Suzume enough, to let her go.
    #TEAMSHISHIO

    ReplyDelete
  10. You’re right, this whole manga was Shishio. From the star thing dedication to the 1st manga blurb. If she change it because fan pressure how sad, you can tell it was her favorite character too. She even try to give him a happy ending in The Guy Next Door while Mamura and Suzume got just the basic ending just getting engaged not even married lol I liked both but when she described Shishio you as a reader you could feel the love they had and most of the time with she had with Mamura they had no chemistry just some random monologues and it was mostly him being cold to her calling baster like ?? , but I guess it is what it is and people can even leave fiction to just be fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See him sad after 6 years later broke my heart more

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was 22 when i first read this manga and by then i was on team shishio. Yamamori mika sensei did a great job at building shishio's character, from the beginning till the end that i honestly am captivated by him even though he couldn't win over the fl. And from this i could see, that shishio was indeed yamamori sensei's fav character. I just dont understand why she didnt let suzume and shishio be together- seeing the moments she made for mamura and suzume werent as heartfelt and genuine as shishio and suzume. And whatmore, even after 6 years, shishio was still very much in love with suzume like he did the first time he laid eyes on her. Its too cruel to do this to your fav character- I think.


    Visiting this manga again at 27, i am still very much on team shishio. He is truly a genuine person. Selfless. And he did his best to be mindful of suzume's circumstances as well as his own. I feel for him. I used to feel frustrated by the ending but now, I feel heartbroken. I'm seeing this manga in a different light now. Shishio sensei is truly an amazing person and despite not being with his love, i hope one day, yamamori sensei would compendate and give us the love shishio sensei deserves. I dont want to imagine it in the back of my mind like of 'shizume' fans do. It would be nice to see shishio be happy and in love, and be loved by someone. Even if its not suzume.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy he finally found someone he likes after 6 years and the timing works out perfectly for him. He has suffered twice. He deserves to be happy too <3

    ReplyDelete